Saturday 28 May 2016

28th May 1816: Henry Hobhouse arrives at Ely to prepare for the Special Commission

Ely
May 28. 1816.

Dear Sir,

Sir H. Dudley & myself reached this place between 10 & 11 this morning, & found the magistrates engaged in the Examination of the Prisoners. We lost no time in joining them, & have assisted in the Examinations. The general Complexion of the Cases in such as to lead me to expect that the Guilt and many of the Prisoners will be evidenced much more satisfactory than I anticipated. They consist principally of Robberies committed previously to last Friday in open day the presence of Persons who speak clearly to the Identity of the Prisoners.

I have not yet had an Opportunity of looking at the Depositions taken yesterday & Saturday.

In passing through Cambridge I had some Conversation with Mr. Pemberton the Undersheriff respecting the means of getting to this Place a Jury at any Freeholders out of the Isle. There appears to be some practical Difficulty in it, which will require the Consideration before the Place for holding the Session is fixed, & I will inform myself better on the subject while I am here.

I will write again tomorrow.
& am
Yrs faithfully
H. Hobhouse

[To John Beckett]

This letter can be found at HO 42/150.

No comments:

Post a Comment