Wednesday 6 February 2013

6th February 1813: Lieutenant Cooper informs General Acland about his 'reluctant' Luddite

Elland 6th February 1813.

Sir.

I have the Honor to enclose a Letter that I have just received from John Mitchell, the man who was to have taken the Oath of allegiance before Mr Radcliffe and whom I wrote to you of a fortnight since. I am greatly disappointed at his not coming forward as I think his example would have had an excellent effect and have been followed by numbers.

Would you have me try to persuade him to come forward and take the Oath? representing to him that it will be beneficial to him as far as Luddism is concerned and assuring him that he will not be proceeded against for his other Crimes.

I believe the Country around me has been perfectly tranquil since my last Report, for I have heard of no depredations or outrage of any kind having been committed.

I have not yet, Sir, received the Proclamations you said in your last letter you would be so good as to send me.

I have [etc]
Alf. Cooper Lt.
West Suffolk Militia

[To] Major General Acland,
&c. &c. &c. 

This letter can be found at HO 40/2/3.

No comments:

Post a Comment