Saturday 2 February 2013

2nd February 1813: A Luddite is reluctant to swear the Oath of Allegiance

Manchester Febr [2nd]

Sir I received a letter from my father desiring me to meet him at Mill Bridge on monday the first I was then near Nottingham and I return you many thanks for your benavelance and General Barnad and the love of Mrs Radcliffe in saying that I might have my freedom I was very glad to hear of it and was going to come but Master desired me not to be too hasty therefore I Went to anatorney and asked about it and he told me that the pardon only reached such as had not been charged and if I came I must sufer as the othershad done Therefore I ham going to leave the cuntry as soon as posable so I return you all thanks for yunr love to me and my father so no more at presant from yours

John Mitchell farewell

To Captain Cooper of
The Cumberland
Miltia Elland Near
Halifax yorkshire

This letter can be found at HO 40/2/3.

No comments:

Post a Comment