Tuesday 6 November 2012

6th November 1812: Spies report that 'hundreds' of soldiers have been Twisted-in

Staley Bridge Novr 6th 1812

Sir

I have the honor to report that during the week, I have heard from Hayfield, New mills and the different quarters of the Circuit on which I have been lately moving with my Detachment, and I am happy to say, that every thing continues quiet. Clough & Robertson, left this place for Huddersfield this morning, Robertson has some information respecting the Edinburgh Militia, he says, that some hundreds of them were Twistedinn, while the Corps was quartered at Nottingham, this information, I am inclined to receive, with great caution, I cannot help thinking more favorable of them, than that their fidelity to their King & Country should be shaken, by the Nottingham weavers—

Derwent, the Constable, I mean to discharge in a few days, as Captain Raynes & myself thinks, that he is of little service, on this quarter, I will take care to do it in as pleasant a way as I can, but should you have any objections, have the goodness to inform me

I have the honour to be

Sir

Your Most obedient &
humble Servant
Peter Macdougal Capt
Stirlingshire Militia

[To] Major General Ackland
&c &c &c
Huddersfield

This letter can be found at HO 40/2/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment