Wednesday 15 August 2012

15th August 1812: General Maitland posts placards about the Illegal Oaths Act around Lancashire

[15th August 1812]

My dear Sir,

I received your Letter the night before last, and yesterday published all over the County the Handbills of which the enclosed is a Copy.

I endeavoured to make it as simple and concise as possible and in addition I have this day directed it to be advertised thrice in all the County Newspapers, in the West riding, Cheshire & Lancashire.

Our search for arms has produced but little, but we are getting the population returns, and upon any information or suspicion will not fail to make active use of the bill.

I am very anxious to get into Yorkshire, but shall not be able to be there before the 20th, after which day I request you will be good enough to direct to me at Wakefield.

I am sorry to say from the reports I have received that the [burst] with America has again occasioned a very considerable stagnation, and that there is now nearly as great a Depression as there was antecedent to the repeal of the orders in Council—

I shall have the Honor to write Ld. Sidmouth the moment that I hear from Ld. Fitzwilliam

and have [etc]
T Maitland

[To] John Beckett Esqr.


This letter can placard can be found at HO 42/126.

No comments:

Post a Comment