Wednesday 13 June 2012

13th June 1812: Soldiers from The Royal South Lincoln Militia offer to raise money for the Framework-knitters

1812. June 13

Great Yarmouth

Sir/

As I perceive your name attatched to the Committe for raising monies to Defray the expences of the Framework-knitter's Bill about to be introduced into Parliament. I make bold to address you as one of their Agents. As there are many of our Trade in this Regiment I make no doubt but a Sum of money might be raised by proceeding in a proper manner to assist in so excellent an undertaking, I have mention'd the matter to Several & found none unwilling, but I conceive you would much conduce to the success of my endeavours, if you would send a kind of Epitome of your proceedings accompanied with an appeal to all Brethren of our Branch of Trade, for their United Support, not only calculating on what you actualy get from us, but it may act as an example to other Regiments when known. I shall not give any false expectations but I do believe that 40 persons may be found that will give 6d each at the Least.—at these Distressed times I conceive that we Soldiers can as well afford to Lend a helping hand, as some others that are not in the Army. If the Idea meets your approbation I shall expect to hear from the Committe before long, by Directing to Grenadier Company Royal South Lincoln Militia Great Yarmouth You will much obleige Yours &c

Samuel Baker.

[Addressed to:] Mr. Thomas Roper . . . Nottingham.

This letter can be found in the Records of the Borough of Nottingham, vol.8, 1800-1835 (p.151).

No comments:

Post a Comment